Stephen King is an incredible author, television procure, film director and even musician. Everyone knows and loves the amazing Stephen King. His truest identity, in a world full of Sci-Fi Horror and Thiller novels, can be seen in this list of 20 overwhelming, wholehearted and intense quotes:
1. “Humor is almost always anger with its make-up on”
An interesting perspective on humor, but let’s face it, how many of us have “joked” about something to someone?
2. “Hearts can break. Yes, hearts can break. Sometimes I think it would be better if we died when they did, but we don’t”
Clearly Stephen King has had his heart broken pretty badly in the past. Death is often something that comes across a person’s mind when they have their heart broken so terribly, but one must realize that life does go on, and it is possible to love again.
3. “The scariest moment is always just before you start”
A simple, yet true, observation. Hesitation and fear always comes before you do something, never after and rarely during.
4. “Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win”
Clearly Stephen King has battled with some mental issues with this quote. Mental demons such as the black dog are difficult monsters to deal with, and unfortunately, sometimes they do win. Sometimes our mental monsters drive us insane, or worse, to death.
5. “Get busy living or get busy dying”
An inspirational piece of advice about life.
6. “We make up horrors to help us cope with the real ones”
This is an interesting thing to hear from our beloved Stephen King. This again is a clue into some dark past, or present demons that loom over him. Is this why King writes so many horrors? And of his long list of written work, which of his monsters represent his real life demons?
7. “Amateurs sit and wait for inspiration, the rest of us just get up and go to work”
Another interesting piece of advice suggesting that successful people don’t sit around waiting, they just get on with it.
8. “Sometimes human places, create inhuman monsters”
Another dark perspective on life from the horror master.
9. “FEAR stands for fuck everything and run”
A quirky quote that I must admit, I will adapt into my life. When you are scared, most of us instinctively choose flight over fight, or as King puts it, “fuck everything and run”
10. “The trust of the innocent is the liar’s most useful tool”
An interesting perspective on the human social system that is, when you look at it, true. A liar who gains the trust of an innocent person can manipulate them very easily and they will definitely use this to their advantage.
11. “Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work”
Interesting comparison with table salt, but in the end this quote is quite true.
12. “God is cruel. Sometimes He makes you live”
Another dark perception on life suggesting that life and living is a cruel act of God.
13. “Talent is a wonderful thing, but it won’t carry a quitter”
Another true and inspiring quote from Stephen King about success and talent.
14. “Words create sentences; sentences create paragraphs; sometimes paragraphs quicken and begin to breathe”
An anthropomorphic perception of literature. When writings become so fluid and engaging, the story comes to life to the reader.
15. “Time’s the thief of memory”
Memories unfortunately fade over time.
16. “When it comes to the past, everyone writes fiction”
We have all lied about our past, even if only a little.
17. “Do it for joy and you can do it forever”
No one will ever continue to do something if they hate doing it.
18. “Love is what moves the world, I’ve always thought… it is the only thing which allows men and women to stand in a world where gravity always seems to want to pull them down… bring them low… and make them crawl…”
A dark perception on love. This is another quote that suggests Stephen King has been tragically hurt from love in his life.
19. “Was there ever a trap to match the trap of love?”
We have all been caught by the love trap sometime in our lives. Even if it was just from the family dog.
20. “Might as well try to drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover”
Suggesting that arguing with a lover will last forever, just like trying to drink the ocean with a spoon. This is yet another quote from King that suggests a deep hurt that he has received in the past from love.
In these above quotes, you can easily see that this incredible man has suffered with mental demons, loss and trauma. Even without knowing the facts, this message is conveyed in nearly each and every one.
What are your thoughts about these profound Stephen King quotes and how have they affected your perception on his brilliant mind?
Youtube Channel: Top10Archive
Feature Image via: Flickr