There are few things in life I enjoy more than mid-conversation references to my favorite books. Really, though, when a friend complains how her mom keeps asking how her dates went and the friend then likens her mom to Mrs. Bennett from Pride and Prejudice? I break out into a huge grin. And when my dad is trying to speak over all the people at our Sunday family dinner and he suddenly yells “I have the conch!” I sometimes giggle with glee.
If a guy approached me at a café and hit me up with a pickup line with literary references? I’d probably melt. If my current, long-term boyfriend got on knee and told me I was the Catherine to his Heathcliff? I’d marry him on the spot.
If you’re going to try a pickup line that references a specific book, may I suggest these beauties?
1. If it was 1984, and I was Big Brother, I’d only watch you.
2. I’d spend Tuesdays with Morrie, but I’d spend every day with you.
3. The Sun isn’t the only thing around here that Also Rises.
4. Are you Five People? Cause I just met you In Heaven.
5. I wanna take your body to Wuthering Heights.
6. Hey girl, don’t be The Stranger.
7. If you’d let me, I’d Middlemarch you right down the aisle.
8. Hey, do you want to Hobbit out of here together?
9. You know what’s The Fault in our Stars? It’s that they’re missing one. You.
10. Is your name Scarlett? Cause when I saw you my heart was Gone With the Wind.
11. My friends call me Robert, but you can call me the Beowulf.
12. How about we make a little Sound and the Fury until The Sun Also Rises?
13. I’d never be Miserables waking up to your face.
14. Girl, we’re the Beautiful and Damned; you’re beautiful and I’ll be damned if you don’t let me buy you a drink.
Now, if you’re looking to impress a bookish person in general, but not wanting to reference a title they may or may not recognize, here are a few doozies for your playbook:
15. You’re so hot, I’m gonna use my book budget to buy you a drink.
16. Did it hurt when you fell out of my favorite book?
17. Are you my bookshelf? Cause I can’t stop staring at you.
18. Girl, I’m glad I brought my library card, cause I’m checking you out!
19. Nice buns! Is your name Peeta?
20. Let’s Hobbit right out of here together.
21. I like paper and you like Kindle. So let’s get together, baby, and start a fire.
22. I’d never say Farewell to Those Arms.
23. Hey cutie. I Sense you have a lot of Sensibility. Was that too Austen-tacious of me to point out?
24. Do you know how I can contact Sherlock Holmes? Cause I need to solve the mystery of how to win your heart.
Annnnnnd… *drum roll please* … my all time fave. More of a euphemistic suggestion than a line, but still.
25. *throws 50 Shades of Grey across the table* *winks*
Just take me now.
Which one of these would make YOU swoon?
YouTube Channel: Denise Marie
Featured image via The Lowdown